Thursday, October 4, 2012

people are more complex than you can ever understand

Bibik was at my house as usual, she comes every two or once a week to clean the house. I just got my pay and it crossed my mind to give her $20, which I think is a fair amount for the work she does cleaning the house so I don't get nagged at to do it. She was sitting in the dark at the balcony when I approached her with notes in hand. She refused to take it from me. I thought she was just being... polite? dutiful? a good hardworking person who doesnt take handouts? and i insisted on giving it to her. she started crying like FOR REALZ and so i backed off. And then i felt bad cos i made her cry. I asked her what she was sad about and she didnt answer... she said she just felt touched.

i keep going over what i did wrong. i dont think the crying was caused by me trying to give her money per se. i think i just interrupted her thoughts while she was in the dark. and triggerred something by my kindness? i will never know what she is thinking about. and i guess the more good hearted someone is, the more impossible it is to understand them. it's a sign of God really, that we can all inside us be so deep and opaque that perhaps no one else will be able to see and understand our secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment